Derek brought over this 1700cc type 4 long block he had kicking around his garage to see if we could put it to some use for him. It was December. It looked like a reindeer. At least, late one night, it did to me...did I mention it was really late?
We decided to use this Fat performance Porsche 911 style fan shroud we've had around forever. It uses a real 911 fan and alternator along with a smaller sized pulley and some adapters. It took a lot of fitting and die grinding to get everything to fit correctly.
These Weber dual carbs will require the linkage to run behind the shroud.
We had to fabricate this pulley bracket to make the reverse pull of the linkage work.
After a trial install, the single pulley was WAY too stiff. We added a second pulley to make the cable pull a bit easier.
Here is the pulley bracket installed and working much better.
We needed an exhaust to pre-run the engine, so we chopped up a late model stock type 4 head pipe to use as part of a dual cannon style system.
We ended up with a fairly rad looking dual pipe exhaust system. By rad, I mean flashy and LOUD!
From this top veiw, you can see how the off-set on the dual carb linkage has too much angle in it.
Here is a coil mounting bracket we had to fabricate from a stock type 3 coil mount and some angle iron to be able to hang a coil from the engine.
Here is the coil mounted on to the right of the pulley.
Here is the engine, ready for a test run. At first, it back-fired and spit flames up through the carb velocity stacks. I finally realized I had forgotten to install the idle jets (late one December evening) when rebuilding the Weber 40s! Some 55 size jets made everything much better, but still very loud with those dual cannon chrome zoom tubes!
To correct the linkage off-set problem, the left-side carb base plate needed to be modified by moving the cross arm mount back a ways. The mount is cut off so it can be re-welded in a proper position.
With the mount re-positioned, it is clamped in place for welding.
With the base plate welded back together and mounted back in place, it looks fairly intended and it works much better.
Once Derek got to hear his engine running, he decided that the exhaust may look cool, but his neighbors would care more about how it sounds (or rather how much they would notice how it sounds). So it's time to build a quieter system. We used a type 4 header and cut it into pieces. We added flanges from stock head pipes and tack welded the re-cut tubes into place.
Here is the finished header portion of the new and improved system.
Next up, a glass pack muffler is added onto a baja-header-style pre-made exit pipe from Empi. A stainless steel T-clamp secures the muffler to the header by connecting to a tab welded to the glass pack.
With the muffler finished and the whole system covered in high temp paint, the engine is surprisingly a LOT quieter. Even a noisy glass pack muffler is more silent than the dual cannon zoom tubes from hell. I will make a note here, that this exhaust system is NOT the ideal for a type 4 engine; especially anything high performance. This set up was done within the constraints of time and money available. An equal length tube system and better collector would give cooler running temps and more power from the engine. This is however, a stock engine, so it will run well in this form. Derek's type 4 is ready for his next project!